Autumn Catch Up & TBR

17:54

It’s been a while! It feels like forever since I’ve just sat down and talked to you. Because it’s been so long, I thought I would just catch you up on what’s been going on in my life, and share my plans for the next few months.

What I’ve been reading...

In August, I read lots of books that I really enjoyed. I read Perfume, which is my Mum’s favourite book of all time. While I didn’t love it as much as she did, I found it interesting and the writing and descriptions to definitely live up to all the buzz in the literary world surrounding them.
Another book I read for the first time was What We Left Behind. I’ve been wanting to read this ever since it came out, but I could never find it. When I did find it in a second-hand bookshop on holiday (in perfect condition!), I was obviously very excited to read it. Robin Talley can’t write a book that I won’t love, so if you haven’t read a book by her, you need to!

I also re-read one of my favourite books, The Glass Castle, with Jennifer. We read it in preparation for the film, which is already released in America/Canada (I have no idea when it’s coming to the UK though!). Both of us love the book, so it was only fitting that we read it together. I thought it was so much better this time around, and reading it with Jennifer made it even more special because she was the one who introduced me to the book.

What I plan on reading soon...

My grandma visited a few weeks ago, and she bought me a book as a present. The one I selected was Our Dark Duet, which I have been excited for ever since last summer, when I read This Savage Song. Another book I’m really excited to read is The Well of Loneliness. It’s been branded a few times as the best lesbian book ever written, so obviously I need to read it! I know it was a turning point in queer fiction, as it was banned for ages, so it will be a very important read.

What I’ve been watching...

I have been watching a lot of Netflix recently. Not too long ago, I finished Orphan Black and... wow. My girlfriend made me watch it, and I’m so glad she did, because I loved it. It was so twisted, dark, and intense - if you’re looking for a heartfelt and intriguing sci-fi to binge, look no further!

If you follow me on Twitter, you’ll know how much I adored Jane The Virgin. My sister recommended it to me, and I think it’s become my favourite show of all time. It’s so funny, quirky, and addictive - the characters feel like family to me.

What I plan on watching soon...

I’m ashamed to admit that I’ve never watched RuPaul’s Drag Race... but I plan on rectifying that very soon! My best friend adores it, and I felt very left out at pride not knowing any of the references, so I’m going to start it as soon as I can.

I trust my sister with Netflix recommendations, so the next show I need to watch is Shameless (U.S). I love the UK version (it’s set in my area too!), so I’m a little worried that it won’t live up to my high expectations, but if my sister likes it, I need to give it a go!

What I’ve been doing...

I don’t really have an excuse for not blogging in the summer holidays, except for the fact I wanted a rest. I’ve been loaded down with school work - in a few days I’m going into Year 11 (the final year of high school), so I’ll be very stressed about my upcoming exams. I want to keep busy in the new academic year, so I also have plans to join more orchestras (I play the clarinet!) and do some volunteering. I know I’ll be busy, but I’m excited for it!

I’ve also been spending more time with my friends and loved ones. I’ve been spending as much time as I can with my girlfriend (which isn’t very much, because she’s always busy!) which has been lovely. I’ve become close with a lot more people recently, so hanging out with my friends has been really relaxing.

Last weekend, I went to my first ever pride. I can honestly say it’s been one of the best experiences of my entire life. The parade was magical, but my highlight was definitely the main festival. I hugged strangers, danced to ABBA, and sang my heart out to queer anthems. Pride is an emotional time for everyone, and last weekend made me realise why. The LGBT+ community is a group of wonderful people, and I’m so proud to be a part of it.

What have you been up to recently? Have you read anything interesting?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thanks for commenting! I read and respond to every comment, so make sure to check back to see my reply. Have a nice day! ☺♥